Mason Library, called “the most beautiful library in America” was designed by Blanchard & Barnes of New York. Mary A. Mason, widow of Captain Henry Hobart Mason, left $50,000 to build and furnish a new library, to replace one in a clapboard house previously on the site. Mrs. Mason summered in Great Barrington and is buried there.
Dedicated July 24, 1913, the library was rededicated April 2007 after extensive renovations that doubled its size and made it handicapped accessible.
Ramsdell Library, located in northeast corner of Great Barrington, in the village of Housatonic, was given to the town in the will of Theodore G. Ramsdell, owner of Monument Mountain Mills. The library, just over 100 years old, was opened to the public in 1908. The building is located on the site of the first house built in Housatonic in 1804.