Spanish I Language & Culture
- For ages 8 & up
- Twice weekly Tuesday and Thursday at 11 am for 55 minutes
- 5 weeks total: Begins Tuesday January 12 ends Thursday February 11
- $50 paid by check to Erika Wainwright (see refund policy at end in “Housekeeping”)
- Click here to meet Erika on video!
- REGISTER HERE
Description: This Spanish class is designed as an interactive, collaborative, and engaging class for students to learn Spanish speaking skills. Using storytelling and games, guided by the interests of the class, students will have creative power over their educational experience, guided by the instruction of the teacher. Along with advancing Spanish speaking skills, students will also get a taste of Latin American culture. Flexibility is a key component to the structure of this class. The main goal is for students to have fun while engaging with the Spanish language. Limited to 6 registered children (see Housekeeping below)
Week 1: Introductions, greetings, and numbers
Week 2: Days of the week, months of the year, and descriptive words
Week 3: Common phrases and forming basic sentences
Week 4: Introducing verbs
Week 5: Creating short stories
*These goals are rough guidelines. They are subject to change at the discretion of the teacher based on class interest.
Teacher expertise: Erika Wainwright Velez is a native Spanish speaker from the Dominican Republic. She has been tutoring Spanish language students for four years, she has worked as a translator and interpreter for one year, and she has worked as a bilingual secretary for three years. Erika has also taken several advanced college level Spanish classes. Erika loves working with youth of all ages and is excited to meet new students and provide as engaging a learning experience as possible through our virtual platform.
Homework: Several different homework resources will be provided each week, but will not be mandatory. The ambition of the students will guide how much homework they complete based on their own abilities, time, and interest. Students may also request homework options based on their own ideas of how they would learn best and what method of practice would interest them most.
Time Commitment: 55 minutes twice a week, homework optional.
- Refund policy: We encourage you to try out the first class to see how it works for you and your family. We cannot issue refunds. In special circumstances you can get a credit for unfinished classes.
- Registered students only: To ensure learner safety & quality instruction, we’re limiting the quantity of registered participants and adults may not join. If you are a parent supervising a learner during class, we ask that you stay off-screen as much as possible. If your learner requires more active participation or supervision from you during class, please reach out to Laurie who will advise the teacher prior to class.
- Parent Tips and Tricks for Distance Learning